KBC Rainbow 24 Sailboat Rental
For Social, Rainbow, & Ultimate level members
Our fleet of Rainbow 24s provides a safe and fun experience for those looking to have a relaxing time on the water. Feel free to bring lunch and turn it into a picnic as you pass by the sights with the wind carrying you along.
**Rentals are available during the extended KBC sailing season: check with us on opening and closing dates, but generally the beginning of April through October.
Weekdays – Rainbow and Ultimate level members have unlimited Rentals. Social members can rent for a 10% discount off the regular rental rate between 9 am – 4 pm.
Weekends and Holidays – Ultimate level members have unlimited Rentals. Rainbow level members have 10 included and then 30% off the full price. Social members have 1 included a half-day. Rental times are 9 am – 12:00 pm OR 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Please do not make more than two KBC Rainbow reservations at a time using the booking system.
A reservation is needed to ensure that a sailboat is available when you want to go out. At least two adults are required on a rental boat, one of whom must be a qualified sailor. Up to six people are permitted on a rental boat; no children under 5 years of age are allowed. No pets are permitted. If you already have two reservations booked please call the school the day before or the day off to check on availability
A late fee of $75 will be charged per half-hour overdue.
- Member Canceling Reservation – The Member wishing to cancel a reservation agrees to contact the School by 3:00 the day before the reservation. The second failure to contact the school will result in forfeiture of the rental or the rental fee. In the case of unlimited rental (i.e. weekday rentals) members will be assessed a $50 fee for failing to cancel. For overnight reservations if a Member cancels within 48-hours of the scheduled reservation, the Member will be charged two days from their annual allotment.
- School Canceling Reservation – If a reservation is canceled due to unsuitable weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances as determined by the School, the Member can reschedule the reservation with no penalty.
Our Rainbow 24 sloops have proven to be nimble, fast, and forgiving. Designed by Sparkman and Stephens specifically for Annapolis Sailing School, the boats are ready to please both novice and experienced sailors. The substantial fixed keel (1100 lbs), cuddy cabin design, and large cockpit combine to produce a boat that is stable, dry, and comfortable.
At least one person in the rental party needs to have an ASA 101 certification or its equivalent, or needs to complete a sailing competency evaluation with us prior to their first rental. Renters are required to rig and de-rig their boat. The Rainbows do not have engines, so sailors must be able to depart and dock under sail.
If you need a refresher on rolling and flaking our sails, check out our how-to page here!
Rentals are restricted to an area close enough to the school so that help can reach you quickly in an emergency situation. Boundaries, determined by management, are subject to change depending on weather and water conditions at the time of your rental. Please understand that going beyond these boundaries makes quick retrieval of the boats difficult in case of emergency. Late returns of boats due to venturing beyond the boundaries will result in late fees. If a renter goes outside the prescribed sailing area and needs to be retrieved, there will be a fee of $75 and the renter will be unable to rent with us in the future.
Sailing is entirely dependent upon wind and weather. We recommend that renters check marine.weather.gov three days before the rental date to see what the forecast is for that day. If small craft advisories or worse are in effect at the start of the rental, the rental may be postponed, canceled, or otherwise restricted at the discretion of the management. In that case, the rental can be re-booked at no additional cost. In low wind situations, you will need to plan your sail so that you can be back at the dock on time.
The boats are covered by insurance. Please inform management of any damage that occurred during the rental. The Lessee has no liability for repairs. However, Annapolis Sailing School is not responsible for personal injury or damage to other boats. You should check your own insurance coverage before sailing.
- Children on board must be at least 5 years old
- No alcohol allowed on boats
- No pets allowed on boats
- No swimming off the boats allowed
- No anchoring
- No fishing
- Boats are not permitted to dock at other marinas or facilities other than Annapolis Sailing School