Through these challenging times, the Annapolis Sailing School is committed to continue offering sailing opportunities to the Annapolis Community. We believe it is important to facilitate outdoor activity to keep spirits high and provide much needed stress relief in a safe and responsible manner. While we still abide by our motto – “Seriously Fun,” we also are prepared to be “Seriously Safe.” Through tireless efforts we have modified our course offerings and cleaning procedures to ensure the health and well-being of our customers and employees.
COVID-19 Related Laws and Guidelines are constantly changing. We are closely monitoring official channels and will promptly revise these guidelines with the most current information.
Generalized COVID Procedures
- Any individual who previously contracted COVID-19 prior to their course must have doctors approval before participating in their course at the Annapolis Sailing School.
- Any individual with reasonable suspicion of being in contact with an individual tested positive for COVID-19 should wait 14 days before taking their course. The Annapolis Sailing School will provide flexibility for those who wish to reschedule their course due to potential exposure.
- Anyone who is exhibiting COVID symptoms upon entering the property will be asked to reschedule their course with no penalties.
- Customers are strongly encouraged to bring their own Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to their course. This includes – face coverings, face shields, gloves, etc.
- The Annapolis Sailing School places no special restrictions on face coverings as long as the covering suitably covers your nose and mouth. Face coverings can be N95s or surgical masks, neck gaiters, bandanas, T-shirts, cotton face coverings, etc.
- Customers are strongly encouraged to bring their own hand sanitizer.
- Customers must be vigilant in the disposal of their PPE on Sailing School Property. The Sailing School will make available a suitable number of trash receptacles outdoors to best mitigate the accidental littering of PPE into our waterways and property.
- Customers and guests are strongly encouraged to bring their own water bottles, PFDs and sunscreen to limit the spread of germs to Sailing School equipment.
The following apply as soon as customers arrive on property:
- Face coverings are to be worn by customers at all times on the property. The property includes the parking lot, main building, classroom building, restrooms and dock structures.
- Face coverings must be worn when interacting with Annapolis Sailing School staff.
- Different groups of customers are encouraged to maintain social distancing and not mix groups.
- Members of the public are not allowed to solicit or linger on the property without a class inquiry, class registration or a suitable other reason.
Sailing School Office Space
- No customers are permitted in the upstairs Sailing School Office.
- All customer interactions required to take place indoors will be restricted to the reception desk.
- During indoor interactions, all guests over the age of 2 years old are required to wear a face covering – per Governor Hogan’s orders.
In our environment, accidents may occur that require first aid or medical attention. The Annapolis Sailing School has at least 1 (one) Red Cross First-Aid / AED Certified individual on staff at all times. Annapolis Sailing School staff are allowed to provide band-aids and suitable first aid supplies to customers. Staff however, are not allowed to administer first aid to customers. Customers must be able to apply any dressings or first aid supplies with the advice and guidance of Sailing School Staff. During these interactions, Sailing School Staff are required to wear a face covering and gloves.
In the event that CPR is required, Annapolis Sailing School staff will follow directives from the American Heart Association to use a Bag-Valve Resuscitator for resuscitation.
General Course Info
Per Governor Hogan’s press release on June 10th 2020, we are allowing indoor instruction with several modifications. We are capping indoor instructional classes at 9 (nine) students. Classrooms will be arranged to facilitate social distancing between students. Classroom doors will remain open and air will be circulated through the room while occupied. If we can arrange students at least 6 (six) feet apart indoors, face coverings are not required. The maximum occupancy of our classrooms is 11 (eleven) people. If we cannot suitably separate students at least 6 (six) feet apart while indoors face coverings are required. At student’s request, contingent on weather, instructional portions of classes can be moved outside under a tent. Similar instructional tools will be provided. At the end of each day, classrooms and shared instructional tools will be sanitized for the safety of our instructors and students.
Per Maryland State guidance, while wearing a PFD – face coverings are not recommended. However, face coverings must be worn by all customers on the property and docks. On the boats – mutual consent applies. If all parties on the boat are comfortable with removing face coverings, they are not required. If one party is uncomfortable without face coverings, everyone must keep their face coverings on.
Course Specific Guidance
- Food will still be served by the sailing school provided the guests are comfortable with it. Guests are welcome to deny the provided food service and bring their own.
- The guests on an evening sail will be limited to housemates or family members. The Annapolis Sailing School will not socially mix customers on an evening sail.
101 Certification/Basic Sailor Courses:
- No more than 3 (three) customers on a rainbow plus 1 (one) instructor
- The Sailing School will do our best to keep the same instructor with the same group of students through the duration of a multi-day course but this is not guaranteed. In the event that outside circumstances prevent this, a suitable replacement instructor will be assigned to the student group.
- The instructors and students will be assigned a dedicated Rainbow for the duration of their multi-day course.
103 Certification Course
- No more than 3 (three) students plus a captain will be allowed on the boat during the duration of the course.
- We are attempting to book housemates/family members on their own boat to minimize social mixing.
- 103 boats are utilized in the evening for evening sails – if one happens to fall on the night of their multi-day course the boat will be sanitized prior to and after the evening sail.
104 Certification Course
- Overnights in the course are still scheduled to proceed contingent on the destination, and students are permitted to stay aboard the vessel.
- We are attempting to book housemates/family members on their own boat to minimize social mixing.
- If the mixing of housemates does occur on board, they will be separated by cabin.
- If there is an open cabin the captain may sleep in it for the night. If customers occupy all three cabins, the captain will stay in a hotel near the destination port.
- Destination ports will be changed if the Annapolis Sailing School becomes aware of a COVID outbreak at the planned port for the safety of our students and instructor.
- Provisioning trips with your course instructor to the local grocery store are still being conducted. Students have the option to opt-out of the trip or drive separate cars to the store. In lieu of the trip, course instructors can make a suitable provisioning lesson on land then procured by the captain.
- Special accommodations can be arranged for those students who are concerned about virus transmission on food packaging.
- All personnel aboard the vessel are required to wash their hands or change gloves before handling any kitchen equipment or provisions.
Private Instruction (PI)
- PIs will proceed as scheduled.
- Social mixing is discouraged.
Offsite / Private Vessel Private Instruction
- The instructor will bring suitable PPE.
- Should the Annapolis Sailing School learn of a COVID outbreak in the port of call of the Private Vessel, the customer will be asked to reschedule the lesson.
- Rental boats will be separate from the fleet of rainbows designated for instruction.
- Rental boats will be sanitized prior to customer arrival.
- Renters are expected to gather their own equipment needed for rental (PFDs, sails, etc) from the sail storage shed.
- Renters must be able to rig their own boats.
- Annapolis Sailing School staff are not allowed to board / touch the rental boat for rigging/derigging purposes. Staff are allowed to answer rigging questions from the dock and inspect the vessel from a distance. The renters are ultimately responsible for the physical setup of the boats.
- Rentals are responsible for all trash/PPE left aboard the vessel
- Will be reduced in frequency
- Properly social distanced events where all parties are wearing face coverings will be permitted
- Gatherings are limited to 10 people maximum
- KBC members and their families are still allowed to visit the property and use our beaches.
- No walk-ons will be allowed.
- KBC members should notify Sailing School Staff by phone, email, or in person if they intend on using the property.
- KBC members are not permitted to socially mix guests – i.e. bring guests outside of their housemates or family members.
- Overnight stays are not permitted on our KBC premium boats.
- Social mixing is prohibited on the boats. Only housemates and family members will be permitted aboard the boat for the trip.
- Boats will be sanitized after each use.
Paddleboards and Kayaks
- Paddleboards and Kayaks and their accompanying paddles will be numbered and assigned prior to use.
- All equipment will be sanitized after use.
- KBC members who are eligible to use them must check in with staff first.
- Social mixing not among housemates nor family members is not permitted in the Sail Shed Clubhouse.
- Use of the clubhouse is predicated on the reservation of the space with a staff member.
- Any food or beverages consumed in the clubhouse must be provided by the guests and all traces must be removed upon leaving the clubhouse.
Monday Night Regattas
- Permitted with restrictions
- Currently, no more than 4 boats are permitted per night.
- Only housemates/family members are permitted onboard each boat.
- KBC Members must RSVP for a boat by 12-Noon the day of.
- No mingling in the clubhouse after the regatta. Social gatherings are permitted with appropriate safety measures outdoors.
KBC Rainbow Rentals
- The same rules as regular Rainbow rentals apply to KBC rainbow rentals.